Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Jr.. I had a IRS levy on my benefits and it was satisfied

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Jr.. I had a IRS levy on my benefits and it was satisfied 6/29/2016 with my agent. Due to time restraints the agent did not get the release to SSI in time for July removal of the levy and my benefits were levied. The levy was reported to SSI for removal before August levy and I was told by my agent SSI could not handle my case due to work load and I was levied on August 3rd. I am retired and please inform me of how to or who to contact about my rights in this matter. I have the release of levy and do not understand of how this can be done to not me but any american citizen due to SSS employment short comings.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

OK, as is not unusual, SSA has a cog in its wheel and it moves like a slug because it is not going without the moneys, YOU are. I would, at this point, contact my Congressperson - he/she has a link on his website termed something like "help with a federal agency" - you can follow its directions on how to get your complaint in. Keep it concise and factual, with proof of any assertions you have proof on, photocopied to be attached to your narrative. The Congressperson will initiate (or his team will, more aptly) a "Congressional Inquiry" on your behalf. Even SS lawyers use this Inquiry method when common courtesy letter and phone requests are ignored by the SSA. I use it quite regularly. How this can happen, you ask? That is the 64,000$ question. Between light staffing as well as incompetent staffing, this is what we get - and it seems that the bad egg workers have no fear of being let go, so there is no accountability for doing a poor job, ignoring inbox, etc. This is an issue that should likely be addressed by our vote, as it continues to deteriorate the last several years, in my experience, and I work in the SSA world on a full time basis for over a decade now.

In fact, I am emailing my congressperson's liaison team member right after I finish up here, to follow up on his progress on a matter where SSA has not released my fee, but has not also responded to my 15 or so written requests as to what is going on. It has been about 12 months that the government has not paid me what is owed. Hopefully this will change with the Congressman's assistance.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!