Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am a resident of Switzerland, US/Swiss national, and have

Customer Question

I am a resident of Switzerland, US/Swiss national, and have been paying US Self Employment Tax and Swiss Social Security Tax. There is apparently a treaty that stipulates that under those circumstances, I only have to pay in Switzerland, and could get refund from the US. Looking for the specific treat to add to my request for refund in the US.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A new agreement effective August 1, 2014, between the United States and Switzerland improves social security protection for people who work or have worked in both countries.

Before the agreement, if both the U.S. and Swiss social security systems covered your work, you and your employer had to pay social security taxes to both countries for the same earnings. However, the agreement eliminates this double coverage so you pay taxes to only one country.

The following link contains excellent detailed information, including how to obtain a Certificate of Coverage from one country to prove you are exempt in the other country:

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/switzrld.html#elim_self

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb