emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

How and where do I report social security benefits income

Customer Question

How and where do I report social security benefits income and taxed paid on social security benefits received in 2015. I see a place to report the income on 1040. Do I just add my income tax withheld on SS income to my entry for income tax withheld from salary on 1040? Thank you. Barry D. Roberts(###) ###-####or***@******.***.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

On 1040, you will report the amount from your SSA1099 box 5 on line 20a and the taxable portion on line 20b. If you had taxes withheld listed in box 6 of your 1099SSA, report it on line 64 of your 1040.

If you are paper filing your return, include copy of your 1099SSA with your return to show the withholding along with all your W2s.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.