Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm receiving social security payments each month. My Wife

Customer Question

I'm receiving social security payments each month. My Wife Receives a payment as the Mother of a dependent child. Can my wife work and still receive her payment? What are the Gov. Requirements as far as taxes and limitations? Also for myself, I was under the understanding that if I continued to work after full retirement age and still making payments to social security from my pay check that my social security would be reviewed and adjustments made on my payments? Every week SS taxes are still withheld. Are my taxes paid in are a total loss?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

With regard to your post:

"I'm receiving social security payments each month. My Wife Receives a payment as the Mother of a dependent child. Can my wife work and still receive her payment? ------ Yes, but there is an earnings limit of $15720. If she exceeds that, to the extent she does exceed it, she will ow back $1 for every $2 earned.

"What are the Gov. Requirements as far as taxes and limitations? ------ Taxes are still owed as per IRC depending on your tax bracket(s) etc.. Her benefits would be under her SS#, and the child's are as per his/her own SS# (so the the child's income is taxed to him (which means he likely won't be paying taxes on it, if that is his only income).

"Also for myself, I was under the understanding that if I continued to work after full retirement age and still making payments to social security from my pay check that my social security would be reviewed and adjustments made on my payments? -------- Yes, if you change or list of "top 35 years of earnings" then your benefit amount could change accordingly. The recalculations are automatically done.

"Every week SS taxes are still withheld. Are my taxes paid in are a total loss?" ------- Not sure what you mean by a total loss, but if you mean, do I have to still pay, yes, we all do on all work earnings - even those of us that won't be collecting SS benefits in the future, still pay those taxes. In that way, it is a typical income tax, we pay tax on our income, which is used for public use, even if we ourselves don't utilize that particular public good (such as a highway, for instance).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!