Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I started getting my social security when I was 62, at the

Customer Question

I started getting my social security when I was 62, at the time I had no other income. I started working 1-2013, I continued to get Social Security unti 8-2014. So I turned 66 in January 2016 and got a letter stating I had to pay money back so I couldn't get my money until July 2016. Yesterday I got a letter stating I will be shorted 200.00 for the next 69 months / or until I pay back $13,k. I get $1,225.00 per month.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to appeal. There is an earned income penalty if you take early retirement and work prior to full retirement. For the year 2016, the limit on earned income is $15,720 ($1,310 per month). If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit. Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on the amount of money you may earn and still receive your full Social Security retirement benefit. The reason this policy is in place is to discourage people from working and taking early retirement. You will have to repay this amount and this unfortunately is the rule.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even if I didn't start getting my SS until August 2016, my birthday was 1-2016 I turned 66 yrs old.

You worked before you were age 66, you have back penalties that are permissible for SSA to charge you because of your work from 1-2013 to 8-2014. It doesn't matter that you are older than age 66 now. Depending on how much money you made it is possible that you have to pay back everything you received from SSA during that time. You will not be penalized for any income from SSA you receive after you turn 66 because of the earned income penalty. You are only being charged back penalties. You could pay back a lump sum and they would not penalize you any further. Does that make sense? You would not be penalized at all for working income and your SSA from August 2016 on, it is simply the penalties that you never paid back from before. SSA had no other ways to get it from you until you started collecting again.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?