Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

In 2012 I was off from a 19 year job. 11 days after my lay

Customer Question

in 2012 I was laid off from a 19 year job. 11 days after my lay off I turned 62. I signed up for SS benefits. I received the benefits for approx. 14 -15 months. I got a job so I requested to stop my benefits. that was in 2014. I will be turning 66 in Dec 2016. I went to my local office 2 weeks ago to inquire about my benefits and they told me I had a years benefits and that I could collect them now. I told them I wanted to wait until Dec 2016 when I turned 66. 3-4 days after my visit and inquirey I received a payment in my checking account. when I contacted my local office to ask them why I received a payment they said I has to take the benefits now because I am at my full retirement age. which I am not. also I am still working and plan to continue to work. I am not prepared to receive benefits now. also they are telling I have to take the benefits. why would I have to take them? also, why would I get them 5 months before I turn 66, I believe I am loosing money by taking benefits at age 65. please advise.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

You DO NOT HAVE to take your benefits now. You can wait till you reach your full retirement age or even to age 70 before receiving your benefits. You need to go back to your local office and ask to speak with the supervisor and tell him/her to take back the check sent to you because you did not authorize them to send you the check because you did not sign up to receive your benefits yet. That you need to wait till your full retirement age or when you turn age 70 to receive the benefits. You are allowed to do this. Click here for more information.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.