keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

If i get approved to collect SSI due to a disability and I

Customer Question

If i get approved to collect SSI due to a disability and I allowed to collect my pension?
I would simply roll my pension into an IRA along with my 401K.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 6 months ago.

Actually, what you are talking about is SSDI (Social Security Disability Income), not SSI. SSDI is not "means tested" which means your other income, as long as it isn't "earned income" (ie. W2 type income), doesn't affect your SSDI income.

There would be no reason that your unearned income (pension income for example) would affect your SSDI benefits.

The only drawback is that, similar to Social Security Retirement Income, any SSDI benefits could also be taxable depending upon the amount of your other income, pensions, etc.

Just checking in...................I see that you haven't returned to view my response. Please let me know if I can answer any follow-up questions you may have. If none, then please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you have already made to the site.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 5 months ago.

Did you experience problems with re-locating your question after I responded to it? AND/OR,

Did you by any chance experience problems with the rating system?

I ask as around the time of your question the site was having some issues in this regard and some of the ratings weren't credit to us. If that was an issue with you, perhaps you could just indicate your rating in words, hopefully good, very good or excellent. If you would take a moment to do that, customer service with credit me with responding to you and close out the question favorably.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,