Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

How can I get disability benfits for my son who is 21 years

Customer Question

how can I get disability benfits for my son who is 21 years old and has asbergers
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

He (“you”) would be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits if you can show that you have worked long enough to earn benefits and that you are unable to work because of your disability and that your disability is expected to last for at least 12 months. Social Security Administration has a very strict definition of disability. If you have not worked long enough to qualify for benefits, you may be able to get Supplement Security Income (“SSI”). This is a program for people who are elderly or disabled who have very little or no assets and have not worked long enough to qualify for regular Social Security Disability benefits (“SSDI”).

Your ailment should be on the list of impairments. Click here to see the list:

You can apply for benefits online or make appointment to go to your Social Security Administration local office. You are better off doing it online in the privacy of your home--you can take your time in completing the application and the disability report.

The process is a long one and it would require a lot of patience from you:

(1) Your initial application would most likely be denied;

(2) Then, you would be given opportunity to ask for review. New updated disability report should be completed as part of this request for review. You could be turned down by the reviewing officer on your second go at it;

(3) You would be given another opportunity to appeal, this time to the Administrative Law Judge ("ALJ"). This is where most people get approved for benefits. It could take up to a year for your case to be resolved.

You can get an attorney to assist you once you have applied and have been turned down so that the Attorney can handle the requests for appeal for you or you can get an attorney to assist you from the beginning. Attorneys cannot charge up front for helping you apply for disability benefits. Attorneys only get paid if you are approved for benefits and they get paid a percentage of your past due benefits. The fees that the Attorneys can charge are regulated by the Social Security Administration. You can also see if you can get assistance from legal services organizations in your area for free.

Click here to see how attorneys get paid for disability claims:

Click on the links below to find attorneys that handle disability claims:

Click here to start the application process:

(A) The Steps:

(B) Checklists:

(C) Application:

Supplemental Security Income Information:

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.