TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My father has alsymier he is 74 he loses or gives money

Customer Question

my father has alsymier he is 74 he loses or gives money away. my sister now gets his money, I am now taking care of him he wanted to come home need to get it changed into my acct, what do I need to do?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Retirement Accountant. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: just came from ss office said I could do it on line
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: my sis has power but they don't recognize it, how do I get in touch with accountant
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like your sister may be his Representative Payee. Having power of attorney, being an authorized representative or having a joint bank account with the beneficiary is not the same thing as being a payee. These arrangements do not give legal authority to negotiate and manage a beneficiary's Social Security and/or SSI payments. In order to be a payee a person or organization must apply for and be appointed by SSA.

If she was not and his benefits were just going to a joint account with her, he can change his bank info on line.

He can change his direct deposit by setting up a my Social Security account and starting or changing your direct deposit online (Social Security benefits only).

Here is the link to SSA to sign in or create a my account