emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I was told that I could receive 50 % of my husbands SS .. I

Customer Question

I was told that I could receive 50 % of my husbands SS .. I am 64 yrs od and my husband is 68 yrs old. He started collecting at age 66. I went to SS office and they told me that they no longer offer this benefit as of April 2016
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You need to wait until your full retirement age to receive 50% of his benefits. If you apply early, at 64, you will automatically receive the higher of your own or spousal benefits (benefits based on your spouse's records). Also, if you apply early before your full retirement age, you will permanently reduce your own but also spousal benefits. It means you will only get about 40 - 45%, not 50% of his benefits.

Because you were 62 at the end of 2015, at your full retirement age you can apply for your spousal and let your own grow until 70 and than switch to your own, if higher.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I wait until I am 66 yrs old I can claim 50 % of his benefit?

As long as you are still married, at 66 you will have a choice to do the following. You can file a restricted application and take lower spousal benefits and let your own to grow additional 30% OR you can take your own if larger than your spousal. If your spousal benefits are higher than your own, than taking spousal benefits will probably be more beneficial.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I heard that they have done away with this spousal benefit as of April 2016

No, the spousal benefits didn't go away. What was eliminated was file and suspend option and restricted application option for anybody younger than 62 at the end of 2015 (born before 1953).

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.