TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

My mother was receiving child support up until 3 months ago,

Customer Question

My mother was receiving child support up until 3 months ago, a month ago she needed to get a new social security card and went into the SSI office to get one when she was asked a series of questions (Audit) if she was getting any other income she told SSI that she was for a while, and then explained she had used a Fed program called TANF that she used over 20 years ago decided to intercept her child support payments and pay themselves back for the assistance she got from them. Now the SSI rep told my mother she may adjust her monthly income (Lower) because she (was) receiving child support and its counted as income. my question is how can they lower her SSI monthly amounts when she's not receiving support anymore?
It's honestly sad she was barely surviving off of both SSI and support and now both have been greatly affected and she's having trouble paying bills now. Any help or advice would be great thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Unfortunately, although filing for child support is a condition of eligibility for TANF, it is not so for the SSI program. TANF recipients must assign the right to any child support collected to the TANF agency, while SSI recipients are required to report this income to SSA. Despite these differences in program design, both programs operate in fundamentally similar ways, using child support payments to offset benefits.

Your mother can request a waiver of the overpayment. An overpayment is when you receive more money for a month than the amount you should have been paid. The SSA will generally reduce future payments by the overpayment amount reducing the benefits in the future months till repaid.

If they grant her a waiver, she will not have to repay all or part of the overpayment. She may have to submit bills and receipts showing her expenses but SSA will let her know.

Please do not forget or ignore to give a positive rating (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES). It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Checking to see how you responded after you read my post