emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I have not been gainfully employed for many years, partly by

Customer Question

I have not been gainfully employed for many years, partly by choice due to the costs associated with daycare. We felt it not only more comfortable but economical considering income, for me to raise the kids. As a result, it appears that I have not accumulated enough credits through the SS administration to qualify for SS.
Does this mean that because I am a stay at home parent I am penalized from receiving SS, even though I contributed to society by nurturing and raising good, intelligent kids?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you do not qualify for social security benefits based on your own records, you may still qualify for spousal benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html#&a0=0

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

No, thank you very much for the insight!

You're welcome. And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.