emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 67 yo. if I start collecting SS do I have to start

Customer Question

I am 67 yo. if I start collecting SS do I have to start medicare too? I have excellent healthcare insurance but will lose it if I start Medicare. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

No, you can apply for social security benefits and keep your own insurance. But the longer you postpone applying for Medicare, the higher your Medicare premium will be when you apply.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/penalty/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.