LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I filed for social security on july 20,2016 if I countinue

Customer Question

I filed for social security on july 20,2016
if I countinue working I will make more money than what is required
I know I can make 1310.00 monthly for a year which comes to 15200.00
if I go over do I reduce my ss check or can I pay more taxes from the overage.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you earn more income than allowed under the social security early retirement rules, you will of course have to pay social security taxes as well as income taxes on that extra income and you will also have to return some of the money to social security. Doing this will actually increase your age 66 benefit because benefits you don't receive early result in a greater benefit at 66.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,