LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Did i receive a social security card at birth?

Customer Question

did i receive a social security card at birth?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Matthew,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, you did not receive a social security card, or number, at birth. Social security numbers and the cards are only issued by the Social Security Administration based upon a specific request---typically by a parent of a minor child at some time after you were born. In recent times, because parents need social security numbers to claim a tax exemption for their child, the social security number is ***** issued in the first year after you were born. But a few decades ago, it was not uncommon for a person not to have a social security number or card until they were of working age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,