Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I am filling out paperwork for my oldest son to go to

Customer Question

I am filling out paperwork for my oldest son to go to college. There is a question that asks if a parent receives SSI (yes or no). My middle son receives SSI because he is disabled. What is the correct response? My opinion is the parent does not because it goes to my son. Is this correct? Lastly, when asked household income does this money need to be added to that? Thank you very much for your help.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is coming through

The answer would be No. Your child's sibling is not his parent and his SSI is specifically for his survival / basic needs.

If there is no explanation concerning what, if anything, is not included in household income, such as excluding any SSI benefits, I'd not omit it. I would either 1) add it to the total and put in remarks that XX amount is SSI for a disabled child in the household or 2) exclude it but note that there IS SSI going to a disabled child. My first choice would likely be the one I would do.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I think I understand. The SSI for our son does not need to be listed on forms applying for college for my oldest. All of the financial information pertains to the parents, but technically this is not income for the family, it is for my son.Lastly, I realize I paid to get this answer, does this mean I am in a trial period and I will need to cancel to avoid later charges? I just wanted one questions, I dont want to be on a trial period.

But do look at the "household" income question - that is different. Your disabled child is part of the household, arguably. For every $1 he gets, you are not paying for his support yourself, so you have more "income" in theory. However, I'd make sure it is CLEAR that XXX amount is his SSI, so it can be properly considered as such.

I do not know anything about the trial period, unfortunately. I am so sorry! But, you should see a contact us or customer service link, so they can and will help you with that, to make sure you are not signed up for something you don't wish for!