emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My Girlfriend and I would like to get Married, But She has

Customer Question

My Girlfriend and I would like to get Married, But She has SSI. We are dependent on the Money She receives as part of our Expenses . We was once told she will lose her SSI if we get married. is this true???
I do Receive Social Security Disability and Cal PERS Retirement disability.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You, she may loose her SSI if your income and assets are over the SSI limits. Here in details what counts as resources/assets for SSI purposes: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

If you get married her SSI will be calculated based on joint assets/income. Unless both of you qualify, she will lose her benefits.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.