dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I have been taking Social Security a year and a half. It has

Customer Question

I have been taking Social Security for about a year and a half. It has come to my attention, I might be able to collect off my ex-wife's social security, and make more. We were married for a little over 25 years. Because I have a State Retirement, I get penalized on what I can collect. Wondering if it is to late to look at my options on collecting off of hers, and if I can, what I would have to do. Thanks you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you qualify for spousal benefits based on your ex-spouse's records you can apply any time. But the same state retirement rule that limits your own benefits will apply to your spousal benefits as well. Unless your ex spouse earned substantially more than you did, you may not get more benefits. Also to qualify, your ex-spouse must be entitled to benefits: currently collecting or is at her full retirement age.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?