emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am a US citizen and I married an Australian Citizen in

Customer Question

Hello. I am a US citizen and I married an Australian Citizen in November of last year. We are working on filing for a spousal Visa. I filed my 2015 taxes as MARRIED and my accountant is asking for my Australian wife's Social Security Number.
Can I get a Social Security Number for her even though she is a non-resident of the US?
***** *****ez
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

She will not get social security number until you file for adjustment of status, basically apply for a green card. In meantime she can apply for ITIN - taxpayer identification number. Your accountant can attach the application to the return.

Here are some information and how to get it: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/general-itin-information

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.