TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My son receives SSI. He is a minor. He s 14 years old. I

Customer Question

My son receives SSI. He is a minor. He s 14 years old. I live in P.H.A. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. is P.H.A. allowed to count his income and request 28% of it for rent in addition to my wages. I work 30 hours per week at CVS/Pharmacy. There is another child in my home. She is 13 years old and my daughter.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

The PHA must use the gross amount to calculate income. Annual income, per 24 CFR 5.609, includes the full amount of periodic amounts from Social Security.

According to 24 CFR 5.609(c)(11), earnings in excess of $480 for each full-time student 18 years old or older (excluding head of household or spouse) are excluded from the calculation of annual income.

When determining a family's annual income, PHAs must consider all amounts, monetary or not, including the full amount, before any payroll deductions, of wages and salaries, overtime pay, commissions, fees, tips and bonuses, compensation for personal services, and more, as defined in 24 CFR 5.609.

Annual income is a family's anticipated total or gross income minus allowable exclusions (e.g., TOTAL/GROSS INCOME - EXCLUSIONS = ANNUAL INCOME).

SSI benefits of the entire family are counted as income.