Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If a soc sec disability application is sent review does that

Customer Question

If a soc sec disability application is sent for quality review does that necessarily mean negative or positive and how long can it take to get an answer. Thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cheryl,

...

The AIPQB branch conducts reviews on the non-medical factors of eligibility within the retirement, survivor, disability, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income claims to ensure payment accuracy.

...

The DQB branch conducts reviews on the medical portion of disability claims completed by the State Agency, Disability Determination Services and by field offices

...

Can you tell me which this is?

...

Let me know and we'll go from there

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not know. I applied for social security disability due to ongoing back problems and surgery along with ongoing depression. When I talked to the local representative today who is my go to person since I have applied she told me a decision had been made which they cannot tell you over the phone but she did tell me mine was selected randomly for quality review which can take a few weeks to 2 months to get done to get the answer after that.I have only been off work and on short term disability since May 2nd and know regardless of the determination, it will take 5 months before payments would begin if approved. I just did not know if the quality review is truly random as stated or is it a negative or positive action or neither. I know I cannot return to my work as a nurse. I saw my physician today and the PA renewed my medical crtification off work to conti ue until at least thru may 20th which helps me. Just wondering about the quality review issue. thanks
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

OK It's likely DQB. These are, as they said, simply random samples - essentially to make sure that the rank and file making these decisions are doing so in accordance with the POMS (soial Security's Program Operation Manual Systems).

...

I'm going to paste in something durectly from the POMS (note the use of the word "sample").

...

"...sample cases to ensure that the evidentiary record supports the decision and that the evidence and the decision conform to SSA operating policies and procedures."

...

So, yes, it is in deed truly a random sample of cases. It's being chosen has absolutely nothing to do with your specifics.

...

You can read more about that from the POMS here:

...

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0430005001

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane