Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

I draw social security and my wife draw half of what I make

Customer Question

I draw social security and my wife draw half of what I make each month I have to give her 500.00 extra make my self short to give her extra is this legal.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 3 months ago.

Dear Husband on social security income,

I am answering this question of yours based on the information you provided. If you feel that I did not get your point, please feel free to follow up.

It does not seem to be a legal issue but more or less a marital issue or a financial issue.

I wonder whether and how much you and your wife share your other assets and expenses.

Because most of the clients in my own practice are seniors and I am a senior myself, allow me to give you some insights and thoughts of mine. Hopefully, they ease your mind.

1) Spousal benefit in social security is allowed like half of yours because supposedly your spouse contributed to the society and your household as much as you did.

2) It seems that it is a loving feature yours to give your wife money so that she can live comfortably or you have certain concern that she may not have enough to comfortably live.

3) If you feel that 500 is more than you are able to or you are willing to give, how do you feel about discussing or negotiating with her? How about 450? Will that make you feel better?

4) There are things in our lives, we cannot explain by rules and regulations. Family budgeting belongs to this category. Our priorities are not always rational. Love sometimes plays an important role, too.

5) How do you feel about to list all your assets accessible to her and to you, jointly or separately. Then, list out your income and expenses. Then, list out all your wishes and wants and bucket lists. I personally do this to ease my mind. The list can help you prioritize and see the financial pictures through planning better.

6) Hopefully, when you are very sincere with list of all the items and numbers, your wife is willing to discuss with you with an open mind, too. Maybe instead of giving her case, if you take over some expenses in the family and manage the expenses to save money, the financial pictures can be improved, too. I guess what I am saying is that you may want to consider why your wife needs 500 per month.

I think your question belongs to personal and family financial management and is not a legal issue. How do you think?

Please feel free to follow up with your questions. Otherwise, I am ready to be evaluated by you for your satisfaction with my answer to your question.

Best Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP