Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If I die and collect a death benefit of $250.00, is my wife

Customer Question

If I die and collect a death benefit of $250.00, is my wife (also retired) eligible for the same $250.00 benefit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

...

Its 255 now - Generally, yes.

...

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, he or she:

If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child (or children) if, during the month the worker died, the child:

If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.