How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 10890
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66, a widow drawing survivor benefits. My home is paid

Customer Question

I am 66, a widow drawing survivor benefits. My home is paid for. I live in it, and was told I could draw extra social security income for this fact. True or False?
Thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.



I'm so sorry, but there is no such provision in the Social Security law. (42 U.S. Code Chapter 7 - SOCIAL SECURITY)


Although there may be certain state property tax incentives, protections from Medicaid recovery, the ability to use your home equity in a private reverse mortgage, etc. etc.


This is a completely false statement, as it relates to Social Security.


I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986