emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Both my wife and I filed this year. She filed at 62 and I

Customer Question

Both my wife and I filed this year. She filed at 62 and I filed at 66. I have cancer. If I die in 12 months, will her spousal death benefits be figured at her initial filing age of 62, or at her age at the time of my death?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Because she applied for her benefits before her full retirement age she permanently reduced current and all future benefits she is or she will be eligible for. Which means her survivor/widower benefits will be about 75% of your benefits, not 100%.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We filed in February of this year. I have form to discontinue her benefits. If we stop hers, then she will get the benefit of not having filed prior to my death, correct?

She would need to repay the benefits she received and wait until her full retirement age of 66 to receive full 100%. If she applies any time before her full retirement age, all her benefits will be reduced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You're welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.