socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)
10097515

My ex husband and I were married years in the State of

Customer Question

My ex husband and I were married for 12 years in the State of Indiana. He is at the top of the scale for social security monthly benefit. When, how and how much am I entitled to when I retire in 6 years at 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 months ago.

You are entitled to the greater of your Social Security retirement benefit or 50% of your divorced spouse's benefit. See this link from the Social Security Administration for a definitive answer.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What happens when spouse dies. Do you go to high benefit?

Nothing changes when your ex-spouse dies. You will always receive the greater of 50% of your ex-spouse's benefit, or your separate benefit.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!