Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

I am currently receiving social security but I had 40% taken

Customer Question

I am currently receiving social security but I had 40% taken because of the fact I became teacher and that is considered a government pension, since then I have been given a 40% disability from the veterans administration of post tramatic stress disorder. is there any possibility I might get some of my social security benefit restored I was origianly suppose to get somewhere over a $1000 a month I only get $502 after my medicare payment?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Please don't rate me badly because I have to be the messenger here.

I'm so sorry, but anyone who works less than 30 years under Social Security and has a pension from a system that did not pay INTO Social Security.

The Social Security Amendments of 1983 (Public Law 98-21) provided for the WiNdfall Elimination Provisions (WEP) as a means of eliminating the "windfall" of social security benefits received by beneficiaries who also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security.

The windfall in question refers to the subsidization of the PIA for beneficiaries with lower incomes throughout life. Prior to the institution of the WEP, beneficiaries who paid little into social security but were paid well outside of the system were given this subsidy.

One thing you CAN do is go here to calculate the WEP and be wure that you're getting everything you should:

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.