TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I am 62 divorced. I was getting alimony but no longer

Customer Question

I am 62 divorced. I was getting alimony but no longer getting. I work part time. Can I collect on my social security and then at age 67 get money from my ex's social security.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

Hello

That depends on your date of birth.

If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the divorced spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date. If your birthday is ***** 2, 1954 or later, the option to take only one benefit at full retirement age no longer exists. If you file for one benefit, you will be effectively filing for all retirement or spousal benefits.

You are not at full retirement age so you could not.

Please do not forget or ignore to give a positive rating (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) . It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.