LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My husband passed away May 8, 2016 and s Social Security

Customer Question

My husband passed away May 8, 2016 and his Social Security monthly was higher than mine. I was under the impression that after he passed away, I as his wife could then draw the amount of his social security. I had worked and was drawing Social Security on my work life.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Billie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are absolutely correct. You are entitled to apply for a survivor benefit based on the passing of your husband and your survivor benefit will be the same amount of monthly benefit he was receiving at the time of his death.

You just have to apply to social security for the survivor benefit and in a couple of months you will begin receiving it.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,