emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

How do I get a new social security card? I already have a

Customer Question

How do I get a new social security card? I already have a social security number, but I need a new card in order to apply for a driver's license.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Once you get your social security number, it is for life. If you lost your card you can apply for the replacement at your local social security office or in some states, online: https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?QuestionID=3755

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have my number still, so I just need to go to a social security office with a valid ID, like a College ID, Passport, or something similar?

Yes. You will need to fill out an application and the card will be mailed to you.

Since you do not have a driver's license yet, you will need to go to the local office with the following documents:

proof of citizenship - birth certificate or passport

proof of identity - passport, Employee identification card, School identification card, Health insurance card (not a Medicare card) or U.S. military identification card.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.