PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money

I was Over paid SS benefits. I work part time Government and

Customer Question

I was Over paid SS benefits.
I work part time for the Government and collect Social Security. I was sent a letter from the SSA that I made to much money prior to my 66th birthday. SSA is now requesting a repayment of over $8000.00 for overpaid benefits to me from age 63 to 66. I apparently made more that the $41,880.00 dollar threshold in those years.
1. I was unaware of this cumulative threshold,
2. I cannot afford to pay this amount,
Please advise.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 3 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

There are a number of options available.

If your circumstances allow, SSA would ask for a check. If they do not, you can set up installments for a portion of the repayment. It is also possible that the overpayment won't need to be repaid at all.

SSA defaults to withholding future payments to repay overpayments.

First, review your income and payments for the years in question. Mistakes are made, and SSA will work with you to review and revise their math if their mistake is made within their appeal window.

You can do this yourself, but presenting your case for partial repayment or an inability to repay due to hardship might suggest asking for assistance.

Your circumstances will dictate what, if any, relief you may be granted, but there are options.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Please rate my assistance with the following rating scale below. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer