dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife is turning 65 and needs to register. I will be 66 in

Customer Question

My wife is turning 65 and needs to register. I will be 66 in August and still work and receive company health benefits. I do not intend to apply for SS or Medicare at this time. My wife is covered under my work coverage.
1. What should she sign up for?
2. Can she draw on my benefits ( she has never worked) without affecting my current status to not start reviewing payments?
3. It is my understanding that she can as long as I sign an exemption or other form stating I will not at this time draw on my SS. Is this correct and what exactly is it called?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you didn't filed and suspended your own benefits before April 30, 2016 your spouse cannot apply for the spousal benefits unless you apply for your own. Starting May 1, 2016 "file and suspend" (file for your benefits, immediately suspend it so your spouse can apply for benefits based on your records) is not available anymore. But she can still apply for Medicare.

She cannot receive your benefits, she can only receive her benefits based on your work records - spousal benefits, not spouse's benefits. It means that her choice will not affect your own benefits. Only your choice (applying now or waiting until 70) will affect your own benefits.

Another thing to consider is your health benefits. If you wait until 68 or 70 to apply for medicare, you may be penalized for not taking your benefits at 65. It is called part B late enrollment penalty. https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/penalty/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty.html

Again, you do not need to collect SS benefits to enroll in Medicare.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?