emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Can I take my deceased husbands social security now and wait

Customer Question

Can I take my deceased husbands social security now and wait til my ss matures to age 70 and then go back to taking mine. I am 64 and retired
If I have a pension from MA teachers association what percentage doe SS take from my SS benefits....from my husbands if I take his and from mine if I take mine?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you receive any socials security benefits before your full retirement age of 66, you will permanently reduce all other benefits you may be eligible for now or in future. To file a restricted application (apply for spousal and let your own grow until 70) you will have to wait until 66. If you apply at 64, you will receive the highest benefits you are eligible for, reduced your own or surviving/widow benefits.

Your will affect your benefits but not by percentage but by actual amount. It is a complex calculation and you will have to have a SSA agent pull up your work records to determine how much. Here's a chart to determine maxim reduction based on the year you became eligible for benefits (at 62) and years you worked in social security covered employment: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html

And here's an online calculator that requires much more details but it is more accurate: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/anyPiaWepjs04.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.