Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I was given misinformation on signing up. I am a domestic

Customer Question

i was given misinformation on signing up for medicare. I am a domestic partner who has been covered under my partners insurance. When I turned 65 I was erroneously told that I did not have to sign up for medicare ( I think the HR people did not know I was a domestic partner nor did they ask). I turned 65 july 2015 but did not go to the doctor until Jan 2016, All bills were paid until April 2016 when they realized I was a domestic partner and then payment was reversed from the providers. I signed up for Medicare part B on May 1. Can I ask SS to back date my enrollment to Jan 1. 2016?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 4 months ago.

Dear Medicare Applicant,

So, United Health is your partner's health insurance program at your partner's work place? You are referring the HR as his workplace's HR department or yours?

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., ABV, CFF, CITP

Dear Medicare Applicant,

According to the SSA website, Part A can go retro-effective 6 months. I would think Part B is the same and it should go back to December 1, 2015. Is United Health your medicare provider? If you can during the next sign up date, use the traditional, pure medicare, the coverage is best beneficial under this choice in general. It is with the minimum limitations in general. Of course, everyone needs to get supplemental insurance to get complete coverage. I hope this answer your question and please feel free to follow up with your question. Otherwise, I am ready to be rated by you for your satisfaction of my answer to your question. See link and quotation below please. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

You can sign up for free Part A (if you’re eligible) any time during or after your Initial Enrollment Period starts. If you sign up within 6 months of your 65th birthday, your coverage will start the first day of the month you turn 65, or the month before you turn 65 (if your birthday is ***** first of the month). After that, you’re coverage start date will go back (retroactively) 6 months from when you sign up.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/get-parts-a-and-b/when-coverage-starts/when-coverage-starts.html