Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

How to mix social security birth data error

Customer Question

how to mix social security birth data error
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 3 months ago.

Dear Applied,

I am assuming this is a SS card for yourself. Otherwise, please let me know.

First, have a lot of patience and be willing to spend a lot of time to deal with the system and many people and never lose patience or get angry.

Second, call or walk into social security administration office to inquire the procedure. They will advice you of the necessary procedure.

Thirdly, hopefully, you were born in this nation. It is almost always that we have to use other documents to prove this document.

a) Do you have a passport showing the date of birth?

b) Find a certified copy of your birth certificate. It can be from the county or maybe even starting from the hospital you were born. Call them if you are out of the area.

c) Do you have any other certificate or driver's license with correct date of birth?

d) Is your mother still alive to vow for you?

e) Have you ever served in military to have documents of other date of birth?

Fourthly, Social Security Administration's data is almost never wrong. They may be wrong for date of death but almost are always right for date of birth.

So, they are not used to correct their data base. Be aware of this background information first when you deal with them. Also, if your age is close to retirement, the SSA data with date of birth is directly related to the money issue of benefit and medicare. They are very reluctant to change date of birth. I am guessing if we want to report a later date of birth, it is easier than if we ant to move forward.

In sum, you need to be prepared to have many documents requested from you. But don't be discouraged, don't give up. Keep on dealing with the system. I have people lost hope and gave up several attempts just by trying changing a last name.

Please feel free to feedback with further questions. Otherwise, I am ready to be evaluated by you with your satisfaction of my answer.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP