TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My husband is 62 and still working I'm and retired at 62. We

Customer Question

My husband is 62 and still working I'm 69 and retired at 62. We have been married for 29 years can I collect his amount per month rather than mine. His would be more than mine.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Generally when you qualify for benefits on your own record, SSA will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached 65 (full retirement age), you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date.

You can delay your own and just request spousal.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited for responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded