Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I will retire in 2 yrs as a Teaching asst. I do after school

Customer Question

I will retire in 2 yrs as a Teaching asst. I do after school program for the extra money.Is it possible to collect ss from an ex spouse. we where married for 12 yrs. If so do I need to stop working the after school program.I make about a 1000 a month. Is there a limit to what I can make to collect on ex spouse social security
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

...

Yes, you can certainly collect on the ex-spouses work record. The requirement, as you may know, is that you were married for 10 years.

...

Yoyu must be 62 (which is considered taking the benefit early ... there will be a 25% reduction for not waiting until your own full retirement age of 66)

...

You don't need to stop working. And there is only a reduction to the benefit if you earn more than the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986