keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My wife retired at 62 years of age. She now trying to get on

Customer Question

My wife retired at 62 years of age. She now trying to get on disability. She has had 3 knee surgery's on her right knee and is not able to walk or work anymore what can she do?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 4 months ago.

How old is your wife now?

Are you referring to Social Security Disability?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

How old is your wife now?

To clarify, the reason I'm asking about your wife's age, is because at her Full Retirement Age (FRA) (either 65 or 66 depending upon her date of birth), Social Security Disability automatically becomes a retirement pension, whether or not you are disabled. So, if she has been retired for a few years, and has reached her FRA, there would be no point in trying to switch from her regular retirement pension to a disability pension (SSDI) unless she has not reached her FRA.

If however, she has not reached her FRA and is permanently disabled and unable to work, and is not expected to recover, it is likely that it would be beneficial to apply; any retroactive benefits are limited so it is important to apply as soon as possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response, as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in...................I see that you have viewed my response. Please let me know if I can answer any follow-up questions you may have. If none, then please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you have already made to the site.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 2 months ago.

Manuel:

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and/or if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,