emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My wife starting taking Social Security benefits at age 62,

Customer Question

My wife starting taking Social Security benefits at age 62, but she continued to work part-time. She is now 68 years old. Over these 6 years that she has worked and also received S.S., her annual pay from work has been between $12,500 - 14,000. Her current S.S. income is $600 per month.
Are there any methods or tactics that she could follow and receive more S.S. income?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you already applied for your own she can still file restricted application (file for the lower spousal and let her own grow). But if she is already 68, she only have 2 years left so her benefits will increase only by about 10 or 15%. You would need to sit down with a social security agent and run some analyses if it is worth. Only SSA agent can look up your and her work records and give you exact amounts. If she applied at 62, she permanently reduced all of her future benefits, including spousal.

If you collect social security benefits and keep working the SSA automatically adjusted your benefits if your earnings are high enough to make any difference.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.