Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have had two Social Security Numbers entire adult life.

Customer Question

I have had two Social Security Numbers for my entire adult life. One which was given to me over the phone when I started my first job and one which was mailed to me when I was preparing to enter the military at age 18. When I filed my payroll information with the US Army I filed under the second one I received because that was the card that I actually had in hand when the Army recruiter asked for my Social Security number. The second card had a misprint on it and was issued in the name of Jerry instead of Kerry. The first number never had a card associated with it until recently when I went to the Social Security Administration in Honolulu and made my issue known to them for what was actually the latest in a series of attempts to straighten this issue out before I retire. At that point I was told to start using the first number from this point forward and when I explained to them that my entire military career was under the second card they told me that I should correct the number because my actual number was the first number I was given. At this point 40 years later in life all of my historical documents reflect the second number and I need documentation from the Social Security Administration supporting the fact that other than the mistake on their end in which they changed the first letter of my name to a J instead of a K. Jerry Wayne Fleenor is Kerry Wayne Fleenor and Jerry does not and never has existed. There is no birth certificate associated with that person. The rest of the documentation in that account is for Kerry Wayne Fleenor and the original account I was given over the phone has only two things associated with it: My first sumner job when I worked at a construction site for three months and my GED certificate from UNCC. I was mailed a copy of the first SS# ***** told to start using it from this point forward but with no supporting documentation to supply to employer or credit agencies or my banks the IRS or anyone else expecting to see my second SS#. I knew this was going to be a pain in the rear to try to straighten out but I need some assistance. I have a plethora of information documenting the fact that I have lived my entire life under the wrong SS# ***** nothing to represent the right one.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

OK first, you said "... with a very disgruntled member of your staff ."

...

We are not Social Security ... You are on a web site that links attorneys, tax profiessionals, social security experts, doctors and others with users to get questions answered in those (and other) areas. Hence the name "JustAnswer.com."

...

The first thing you should do is ask for an earnings report ... this will be your documentation that the earnings have (or have not) been transferred to the first number.

...

Their telling you to start using the first one IS an indication that they have done it, or are in the process.

...

You can get your earnings report in two ways:

...

(1) Go here, (using the first social security number) set up oyur "my social Security" account and see what the earnings recpord says.

...

If your Military earnings are there (having set up the account with the first card - the one social security told you to use) the earnings have been added to the account.

...

See this from Social Security (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

"What Does A my Social Security Account Let Me Do?

...

If you do not receive benefits, you can:

• Request a replacement Social Security card if you meet certain requirements;
  • Get your Social Security Statement, to review:
    • Estimates of your future retirement, disability, and survivors benefits;
    • Your earnings once a year to verify the amounts that we posted are correct; and
    • The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid.
  • Get a benefit verification letter stating that:
    • You never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare; or
    • You received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them. (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.); or
    • You applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

(2) The second way you can get an earnings statement is to print and complete a "Request For Social Security Statement" (Form SSA-7004) and mail it to the address provided on the form.

...

You should receive your paper Social Security Statement in the mail in four to six weeks.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Thre My social account will be much quicker, of coursre.

...

If the earnings have been added, you are good to go.

...

If NOT, you now have the very specific information you need to ask social security to get it done.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice,to clients on three continents, since 1986.