Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My mentally disabled daughter is on SSI, she is currently in

Customer Question

My mentally disabled daughter is on SSI, she is currently in care home in Sacramento.
If I move out of state and want to take my daughter to live with me, what kind of benefits
will be available for her. Will she still be able to get benefits like she has now. SSI, medical coverage, etc.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Yes, SSI is federal, not state, so she will get her SSI. California has a state supplement to that, that she will lose, but the new state she is going to may have one, so you will want to look into that.

If she is on medicaid, through the current state, CA, that will change and she will have to apply in her new state. Some states automatically provide state medicaid to those that are on SSI, while others make her apply anew - so check that out in your state. This can be done at your local medical assistance office. You may want to speak to them in advance so that any delays in applying in the new state can be minimized.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!