emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am divorced and not remarried. I was married years. My

Customer Question

I am divorced and not remarried. I was married for 30 years. My ex-husband will be 67 in September 2016 and will be retiring. I will be 62 in January 2017. I plan to take my social security at age 70. I am currently working and intend to work until age 70. Can I collect half of my ex-husband's social security when I am 62? If so does it affect my benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Because you were not 62 at the and of 2015, you will not be able to choose which benefits you receive. When you apply you will automatically receive the highest benefits available to you, your own or the spousal. When you apply early at 62 (before your full retirement age) you will permanently reduce all current and future benefits available. It means you will only receive about 35% of spousal or about 75% of your own, whichever are larger.

You cannot apply for spousal benefits and let your own grow because of your age. This option is currently available only to people who were 62 at the end of 2015 and only once they reach their full retirement age, 66 or 67.

Here are the IRS benefits calculators:

spousal benefits:

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html

your own benefits:

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/early_late.html

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.