dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife collects disability benefits as she has scleroderma

Customer Question

My wife collects disability benefits as she has scleroderma and cannot work. She has gotten worse in the past few months.
She loses her balance often and she fell in March and broke her shoulder. I am very worried about her and I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone. I have been thinking of retiring from work and taking care of her. Is there a benefit I can get through Social Security to cover staying home?
Thank you,
Mark Costine
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

I am sorry about the situation. No, there are no socials security or other federal/state benefits for taking care of your relatives. If you are at least 62 you can apply for early social security benefits but this will permanently reduce your future benefits.

If you hire somebody to take care of her, you may benefit from some tax deductions like dependent care credit but not if you take care of her yourself.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no