Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I'm told that I may qualify benefits. I'm 4'11", weigh 83lbs

Customer Question

I'm told that I may qualify for disability benefits. I'm 4'11", weigh 83lbs and am diabetic. Do I qualify?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

To qualify for Social Security disability benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability.

...

In general, they pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.

...

Here's their official definition of disability:

...

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

So, it's certainly possible, depending on your surrounding circumstances:

...

I don't want to give false hope however, the claims process can be gruelling, you must perservere.

...

This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments.

...

They are looking fo someone to be disabled such that no substantiallly gainful activity can be generated (they refer to this as an SGA)... and that the disability is expected to last at least a year.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

here's an excellent 8 part video series that provides an overview ofthe process:

...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSYaZN04xzFCoEqDlY3n7xgWLh55vvDh

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.