Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I started collecting my SS at age 65 I understand that until

Customer Question

I started collecting my SS at age 65 I understand that until my 66th birthday I can earn only$14900 but when I turn 66 there is no restriction on how much I can earn/ True of false
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a parttime job teaching college but I keep those earning under the 14900 requirement. When I turn 66 my understanding is that I can ern more than that limit
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Retirement Accountant for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Question #2 My wife presently works and makes $25000 per year. She turns 66 in February and wants to apply for SS. Will she be penalized?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No - just wanted the advice on that earnings question
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

That's right, once you turn age 66 (Full retirement age for anyone Born Between 1943 And 1954) there is no reduction for working while receiving social security retirement benefits.

...

By the way, the limit on earned income is $15,720 ($1,310 per month).

...

And on the question about your wife? No, if she waits until age 66 (full retirement age) there will be no reduction in benefit.

...

Now, depending on how miuch the household earns in total, this COULD make more of the Social Security taxable, but there is never a reduction in the benefit for working after full retirement age.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.