Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband has passed away..s social security is greater

Customer Question

My husband has passed away..His social security is greater than mine what do I have to do to get it transferred to my name?Joan Grier
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi Joan,

...

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

...

If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

...

Note: In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so he or she can make the report.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

See this from Social Security:

...

If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:

You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically....

...

If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:You will need to apply for the survivor benefits.We will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Documents you may need to provide

We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986