emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

In Illinois can I collect social security and receive my

Customer Question

In Illinois can I collect social security and receive my teachers pension. I put into social security for 8 years
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can collect both but your SS benefits will be offset by the pension. But if you only contributed to socials security for 8 years you may not have enough credits to qualify for the benefits. Since I don't have access to your records, you will need to contact SSA to check your work history and credits earned. You can also check your online social security account for your earnings history and benefits eligibility. Usually you need to contribute for at least 10 years to qualify for minimum benefits.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.