Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

Iam 66 years old and I receive a letter from the ssa in

Customer Question

iam 66 years old and I receive a letter from the ssa in which they stop my ssi payments and I will only receive a check from the regular social security check
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

How can I help. What is your question?

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is a means tested program ... meaning that you can't have essentilly ANY other income.

SS retirement comes no matter what, and is based on your work record ... so other income will not affect it.

But what's likely happening here is that the regular social security is now affecting the SSI (n ecause, againm SSI is means tested)

BUT if your regular social security is lower than $ 733/mo, then the can appeal and make up the difference with SSI.

Please let me know what questions you have from here.