LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Received 29,872 in income in 2015. ssa sent me a bill for

Customer Question

received 29,872 in income in 2015. ssa sent me a bill for $7072 with 30 days to pay. can I just stop receiving my monthly social security income until the 7072 dollars is paid back?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Linda,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you don't have the money to pay social security back, then just let them know that and what will happen is that your monthly benefit will be suspended until social security recovers the overpayment. You'll miss some monthly benefit payments but that is all that will happen. There is no other penalty associated with the overpayment if you don't have the ability to simply pay it back in a lump sum.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Hi Linda,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,