LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am looking to possably moving to Idaho, how does it take

Customer Question

I am looking to possably moving to Idaho, how long does it take to transfer from Calif. to
a state like Idaho?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good morning Sharon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you referring to changing the bank that your social security benefit is deposited to, from a bank in CA to one in Idaho?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know if Meridian Idaho Has a US bank?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I don't know either, Sharon.

But in the even there is no US Bank in your new town, you will need to open a new account with a different bank and notify social security.

If you already are receiving benefits, you can create a My Social Security Online Account and start or change Direct Deposit online. If you don’t already have an account, you can easily create one. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit, change bank accounts and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

If you are already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit, then you may change the account the deposit is posted to by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213(1-***-***-****). The representative will be able to assist you in getting the change made to your account.

Finally, you may also visit your local social security office and make the change.

Keep in mind that it will typically take 30 to 60 days for social security to process the change---so whatever you do, do not close out your present account until you have received the first deposit from social security to your new account. If you close your CA account prematurely, payments made to that closed account will be returned to social security and it is a nightmare trying to recover the lost payments---and often takes 2 to 3 months to recover them.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,